Falls are the Most Common Cause of Senior Injuries, Death
Posted on behalf of Stewart Bell, PLLC on Sep 29, 2016 in Nursing Home Injury or Death
A senior in the United States falls every second, and these falls are the leading cause of injury and death for this population, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
There were 29 million falls among older Americans in 2014. Falls claim the lives of more than 27,000 seniors every year, cause seven million injuries and rack up $31 billion per year in Medicare costs.
The CDC also found that older adults in poor health are seven times more likely to fall than those in great health.
All of these statistics indicate that falls among older adults have become a growing public health problem. Given the fact that 10,000 adults reach the age of 65 every day, the number of falls among older adults will most likely continue to increase unless action is taken.
That is why the CDC is advocating for healthcare providers to make fall prevention part of the care routine for seniors. This involves screening patients for previous falls as well as any unsteadiness or concerns about falling, monitoring medications for side effects or interactions that can increase fall risk, and recommending vitamin D supplements for seniors.
Seniors can also participate in reducing their risk of falls by:
- Discussing recent falls with their doctors as less than half of the seniors who fall each year notify their physicians.
- Undergoing vision screenings annually and updating prescription eyewear.
- Participating in activities designed to strengthen leg muscles and improve balance.
- Eliminating hazards around the home that could cause a fall.
- Discussing all medications with their physicians, and being aware of any with side effects that could increase fall risk.
Has your loved one been injured or died from a fall at a nursing home? If so, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering, and other damages. Contact the nursing home abuse attorneys at Stewart Bell, PLLC to evaluate your claim and learn all of your legal options.