How to Report Elder Abuse in West Virginia

Posted on behalf of Stewart Bell, PLLC on Nov 09, 2016 in Nursing Home Injury or Death

nursing home abuseElder abuse often goes unreported because elderly individuals do not always have the ability or the courage to speak up for themselves. It is up to their loved ones and concerned citizens to speak out.

However, that can be difficult if you are unsure abuse is occurring. That is why you should watch for these signs of nursing home abuse:  

  • Withdrawal from social settings
  • Changes in mood or behavior
  • Bedsores or unexplained wounds or bruising
  • Poor hygiene
  • Unexplained infections or sicknesses
  • Unexpected or strange changes in finances
  • Unusual or strange changes in wills, trusts, power of attorney or other legal documents

If you spot any signs of nursing home abuse and you think the situation is life-threatening, call 911. Taking quick action could be the difference between life and death.

Calling the police is another option if you suspect that your loved one is experiencing abuse or neglect that is a direct or immediate threat to their safety or well-being. The police will conduct an investigation into the issue and help anyone that needs it.

You can also report abuse by calling Adult Protective Services (APS) at (800) 352-6513. The APS investigates every claim that is submitted, and anyone who makes a report is immune from civil or criminal liability in West Virginia.

If you want to connect your loved one to services in his or her local area, you can also use the Eldercare Locator.

After reporting the abuse and ensuring the safety of your loved one, contact the nursing home abuse lawyers at Stewart Bell, PLLC to review the situation. You could be entitled compensation for the abuse that your loved one suffered.

We offer a free initial consultation and we do not charge legal or attorney's fees unless we achieve a favorable outcome in your claim.

Contact us right now by calling 304-345-1700 or completing our Free Case Evaluation form.

Back to Top

Where to find our office

Stewart Bell, PLLC

30 Capitol St
Charleston, WV 25301

Phone: 1 304-345-1700

Breaking News

New AHCA Guide Focuses on Social Media Abuse of Nursing Home Residents

Due to an increasing, newer form of elder abuse, the American Health Care Association (AHCA) has created a training kit to be…

Why Arbitration is Bad for Consumers

Arbitration is a form of dispute resolution that is not conducted in a courtroom. No judge presides, no jury weighs the issues…

Quick Connect